Currently undergoing a revival, much work has been carried out to the Coach House and other buildings to provide accommodation and a venue for weddings and other events.
The grounds provide many walks and other pursuits and no visit is complete without venturing through the trees at the back of the house and seeing the spooky ruins of the Orangery – especially atmospheric when lit by moonlight.
Glevering Hall is a three-storied historic Georgian house, built 1795, with grey stucco facades. It is set in a woodland and farming estate of some 600acres northwest of Wickham Market. Over the years its entrance was re-located to the west front and features a pair of 5-panel doors, with stucco pilasters which date from c1899.
During the WWII the House was taken over by the Royal Tank Regiment and used as an accommodation and training base, many soldiers spent their last few hours camping on the Park before being shipped out to France for the D-Day landings. As befell many occupied buildings during the war effort Glevering suffered some deterioration in the hands of the occupiers and as it was in such bad repair when it was returned to the family they decided to convert it into a grain store. It remained like this for 20 years until the son of the owner removed the machinery and started restoration of the main building.
Over the years Glevering Hall has hosted many motoring events, especially the regular Tiger National meetings in the 1970s and 1980s, plus Riley’s and AC’s, the latter celebrated their 70th Anniversary a few years ago because a branch of the family, who lived at Glevering before the war, owned the AC Works at Thames Ditton.
Last year we held a 50th Celebration for the Sunbeam Tiger Mk2 and end of production, also welcoming a number of Sunbeam Alpines who were holding their own 40th National in Ipswich plus a number of other Rootes vehicles.